Wooleigh BartonWooleigh (or 'Ullegh' as it was known in old documents) near Beaford, was the former home of the Wooleigh Mallets who were close cousins of the Mallets of Ash and both branches were descended from the Mallets of Enmore. The family held the barton until the early 17th century until it passed to the Acland family through John Mallet's daughter Eleanor. She was married to Arthur Acland. Her brothers became the second St.Audries branch of Somerset, with landholdings in east Devon (Honiton area), Dorset (Poyntington) and Wiltshire (Newton Toney). The barton (farmhouse) as we see it today retains most of its features from the days of Mallet ownership (16th century) and is Grade II* listed. [With special thanks to Mr. Pengelly]
|1||Entrance sign. |
Originally known as Wolves' Wood, written "uullegh" in early Saxon times.
The early Saxons had no letter w, but of course that's what their double u eventually became. This double u construction (which was originally pronounced "oo-ugh", naturally mutating to "wugh" if said rapidly) often dropped in later spellings (i.e.Ullegh), probably because later peoples had forgotten the etymology
Looking west from main road
Looking west across the River Torridge valley
|5||View from driveway|
Late 19th C porch, possibly on site of earlier one.
Early 16th C Solar cross-wing and c.1400 chapel.
West end of south front. The room next to the cross passage was the "service" room (food preparation & storage). The large end room (2 sets of windows) is later than the original barton, and was added in the late 17th C. All the windows in the south front are 19th C.
The porch marks the position of the cross passage. The brick stack marks the end of the early barton.
Large window and brown door mark the extent of the hall, the most important room, formerly open to the roof until 17th C when it was ceiled. This entailed moving the hearth from its central position to a lateral one, marked by the stack behind. Clock tower is a much later (19th C) bell used to call in the workers from the fields.
Chapel of c.1400, at the east end of the barton. Behind is the solar, or family's private quarters.
Door of chapel, with moulding dated to c.1400.
|23||Barn side view|
|24||Ornamental gate post|
|25||View from drive|
Looking north-west across the River Torridge valley with drive on right
How the barton may have once looked with a thatched roof instead of slates.
With thanks to Dave Dingley
|Linked to||Wooleigh, Beaford, Devon, England|